Pages

August 11, 2014

How not to save me

1. Don't use the Pinoy ka? (Are you a Filipino) line.
It's reserved for the real deal. Like finding out that the random Pinoy you found in the bus station comes from the same island as you do and  the joy that comes in shifting from Tagalog to your mother tongue. The real deal. The idea of a community wherever you find yourself in the world.

I could have said I'm on my way to Denmark. No, wait. Ditch that. If I said I was going to Denmark, you might have other sisters there and maybe they can contact me, too? I should have said I was a tourist and asked for some travel tips.

2. Don't ask me to tell you my life story.
Yes, my husband is puti (white). No, I don't know yet if I will stay in Norway for good. Am I regularly employed? Yes. Where do I live? Nydalen. Can you have my phone number? Sure. Here's my work phone. Can you knock on my door one day for a visit? Uhm, no. Not really.

I could have said I'm single. No, wait. Ditch that. If I said I was single, you'd have hugged me like I needed comfort and, yes please, I need to have friends. I badly need a group where I feel I belong. I should have said I was homeless and needed 10,000 Norwegian krones for a plane ticket back home.

3. Don't gang up on me.
How would you feel like if three women came up to you, two on the left, one standing up and hovering over you flashing a piece of paper that has Jesus written in bold letters? I bet Jesus would have preferred you to, at the very least, make me feel safe.

I could have said I regularly went to (insert church or congregation name here). I could have said I am already saved. No, wait. Ditch that. If I said I went to (insert church or congregation name here), you might have a follow-up question in hand. I should have said I was atheist and left right then and there.

No comments: